Wednesday, July 31, 2013

eBay highlights: French magazine edition!

As you may have guessed from my last post, I spend a lot of time on eBay. (Not usually buying, just browsing.) Even if I can't buy everything I want, I figure I can share with you guys so maybe you can get some cool stuff!

My new favorite thing is looking at different European eBay listings. Surrrrrrre you can find some cool stuff on American eBay, but you can also find some of that stuff at antique stores. I've been looking at vintage things from the US for so long they're losing their charm. What about other places? (I haven't looked elsewhere yet because I figure one can count on "mode" for fashion for a while.)

Oh, if you want to buy these, I think most of them ship internationally or near-internationally. And PLEASE make sure to share scans/photos if you do–I would love to see them!

Without further ado...


This one is way out of my price range at 69 Euro, but it is SO GORGEOUS and would make a beautiful gift for a vintage fashion or illustration enthusiast. The first and third designs above are by Heim and the second and fourth are by Patou. 

The catalogue/magazine (?) also contains beautiful advertisements, including one illustrated by the amazing Rene Gruau:


So beautiful. I don't know what I would do with it...do you? It feels almost blasphemous to to leave the pages in the magazine and away from view, but I can't imagine ripping them out, either, even if they were all lovingly framed.

Elle and Elle

Unlike some of the other magazines I've highlighted that I have no idea about, everyone knows and loves Elle, though this version is quite different from the English version on supermarket shelves. (Then again, most titles from the 1950s that survived to the present are not the same at all today.) Loved seeing Suzy Parker on the issue on the left–she's definitely one of my favorite models from the period.

Le Miroir des Modes


Le Miroir des Modes was basically the French equivalent of The Delineator, a magazine published by Butterick. However, it's in French, so it is instantly way more fashion-y than any old American magazine. (I genuinely do love America and American fashion, but you can't argue with the fact that Paris is and always has been one of the international hubs of fashion design.) I really love the look of the late 1910s–that decade was such an interesting transition period for women, and while the 1920s gets all the attention, it's interesting to trace those changes back to the 1910s. No patterns in this one, but it's still lovely to look at. 

La Mode

I don't know a lot about this magazine. It seems to be separate from La Mode Illustrée. The issue for sale in the above link is from 1911. Very interesting two compare the evolution of styles--and in just six years!

Tricotons pour eux and Tricots pour vous
I'm pretty sure these are not by the same publisher, but at some point a knitting pattern is a knitting pattern, and honestly, I picked the image on the left because of the dog. 

Plus these GEMS



The longer I look at the two of them, the more I am horrified. What is going on in these photos!? I thought France was supposed to be a gastronomist's paradise, WHY IS SHE WEARING A FOOD DRESS!? I seldom agree with cats, but they seem to be in the right mind about this whole ordeal.

What interesting things have you found on eBay lately? (Don't worry, I won't buy them. Maybe.)

xoxo,

Annie Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment